Southwest Louisiana rice farmers making plans for their 2009 crop can get help with their decisions at a series of LSU AgCenter-conducted meetings Jan. 6 through Jan. 15.
At each session, LSU AgCenter experts will present information on rice varieties, agronomics, fertilizers, herbicides, disease control and insects, along with information on soybean production.
“Rice producers will be able to get the latest in research-based recommendations,” said Steve Linscombe, director of the LSU AgCenter’s Rice Research Station. “We have several new things that growers may be able to incorporate into their plans.”
Registration for each meeting will begin at 7:30 a.m. on the following dates at these locations:
• Jan. 6: Welsh, La., at the Welsh Community Center, 101 Palmer St.
• Jan. 7: Ville Platte, La., at the Ville Platte Civic Center, 704 N. Soileau St. Growers also will be able to get their pesticide recertification at this meeting.
• Jan. 8: Crowley, La., at the at the Acadia Parish 157 Cherokee Drive.
• Jan. 9: Kaplan, La., at the American Legion Hall, 1504 American Legion Road.
• Jan. 15: Bunkie, La., at the Masonic Lodge at the corner of Floyd and Lexington.