Commercial seed companies are offering new cotton varieties with high yield potential, premium fiber quality, and critical technology traits to help growers succeed in 2018.
Last season, PhytoGen announced several new W3FE varieties, which growers had access to on a limited basis. For the 2018 season, these PhytoGen brand varieties will have full commercial availability to meet grower demand:
- PHY 300 W3FE. Early maturing variety with outstanding yield, from dryland to good irrigation capacities, and superb fiber quality.
- PHY 330 W3FE and PHY 340 W3FE. Early to mid-maturing varieties with superior yield and excellent fiber quality.
- PHY 450 W3FE and PHY 490 W3FE. Mid-maturing varieties with high yield and excellent fiber quality.
In addition, PhytoGen offers five new W3FE varieties:
- PhytoGen 200-series W3FE. Two new PHY 200-series W3FE varieties offer WideStrike 3 Insect Protection and the Enlist cotton trait in early maturing varieties with excellent yield and fiber quality.
- PhytoGen 400-series W3FE. Three new PHY 400-series W3FE varieties add to the mid-maturing portfolio with superb yield and fiber quality, as well as WideStrike 3 Insect Protection and the Enlist cotton trait. One of the new PHY 400-series W3FE varieties will have industry-leading two gene resistance to root-knot nematode for excellent protection against the pest.
- PHY 888 RF. Additionally, as the leader in Pima and Acala cottonseed, PhytoGen premiers its newest offering, PhytoGen brand variety PHY 888 RF for 2018. Full-season and full-statured, PHY 888 RF is a Genuity Roundup Ready Flex variety with improved tolerance to Fusarium Race 4 and outstanding yield and fiber quality. PhytoGen also offers several other Pima and Acala cottonseed varieties to help growers thrive in cotton.
For more information, go to www.PhytoGen.com
The Class of 18, includes:
- DP 1820 B3XF. An early- to mid-maturity variety exhibiting excellent fiber length, micronaire, and strength, along with excellent yield potential. Provides a good complement to DP 1518 B2XF in northern markets, and to DP 1612 B2XF in the Rolling Plains.
- DP 1835 B3XF. A mid-maturity variety recommended for South Texas, the lower Mid-South and the Carolinas, this variety provides improved fiber length compared to DP 1725 B2XF.
- DP 1840 B3XF. A variety bred for the Southeast and Carolinas, offers yield potential and fiber length comparable to DP 1725 B2XF, and improved fiber length, micronaire, and strength compared to DP 1538 B2XF. Mid- to full maturity variety exhibiting strong growth very similar to DP 1538 B2XF.
- DP 1845 B3XF. Displays excellent yield, quality, and fiber properties for Texas and the lower Mid-South. Has bacterial blight resistance. Good companion variety to DP 1646 B2XF.
- DP 1851 B3XF. This full-season variety, with partial bacterial blight resistance, also exhibits an excellent combination of yield and fiber quality. Ideal for the Southeast and lower Mid-South.
- DP 1822 XF. Developed for West Texas, this variety has demonstrated good tough acre performance, while offering bacterial blight resistance. An early- to mid-maturity variety.
- DP 1823NR B2XF. An early- to mid-maturity variety with excellent fiber length and low micronaire. Ideal for the upper Mid-South.
For more information, go to www.deltapine.com
The new FiberMax varieties with commercial seed availability are:
- FM 1953GLTP. An early/medium maturity GlyTol LibertyLink TwinLink Plus variety that provides bacterial blight resistance and enhanced protection against bollworm and fall armyworm.
- FM 1953GLTP has shown excellent yield potential and fiber quality across a wide range of environments. Bred for the South Texas growing environment, this variety also has shown a wide adaptation for the Rolling Plains, Eastern Texas, and Oklahoma.
- FM 1888GL. An early/medium maturity variety that offers outstanding yield potential and consistent performance in the High Plains, it offers bacterial blight resistance and GlyTol and LibertyLink weed control traits. This variety starts strong, with great early season vigor, features good storm tolerance to hold the bolls, and finishes with high gin turnout and great fiber quality.
The new FiberMax varieties with limited seed availability are:
- FM 2498GLT. Growers looking for excellent yield potential with medium maturity can look to FM 2498GLT. This semi-smooth variety offers bacterial blight resistance and very good fiber quality potential. It is adapted to the High Plains, Rolling Plains, Oklahoma, South Texas, and East Texas.
- FM 2574GLT. Dryland production on the Rolling Plains feels like home for FM 2574GLT. With outstanding fiber potential and excellent yield potential, growers also can count on this variety for bacterial blight resistance and very good Verticillium wilt tolerance. This smooth leaf variety also offers high gin turnout.
The new Stoneville varieties with commercial seed availability are:
- ST 5020GLT. A medium maturity variety that delivers bacterial blight resistance and has the best fiber package available in a Stoneville variety. Bred for the Eastern Cotton Belt — including the Southeast, Delta, and Mid-Atlantic, ST 5020GLT offers excellent early-season vigor, outstanding fiber quality, and yield potential that is stable across a wide range of environments.
- ST 5517GLTP. A later medium maturity variety with the three-gene Bt technology of TwinLink Plus, it provides excellent early season vigor and standability, bacterial blight resistance, and good storm tolerance. Growers can look to this variety for exceptional yield potential and fiber quality across a wide range of environments — from Virginia to the Rolling Plains of Texas and Oklahoma.
The new Stoneville varieties with limited seed availability are:
- ST 5471GLTP. Growers from South Texas to Virginia can find outstanding yield potential and exceptional quality in ST 5471GLTP. With the three gene protection of TwinLink Plus, the crop is less likely to need a worm treatment. Resistance to bacterial blight and very good tolerance to Verticillium wilt ensures this smooth-leaf variety starts strong and stays strong all season. It is broadly adapted for the Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Delta, and South Texas.
- ST 5818GLT. Dryland growers can look to ST 5818GLT for the high performance they need. With excellent yield potential and exceptional quality, this smooth-leaf variety offers very good early season vigor and maintains stable performance in a mid- to full maturity environment. It is adapted to the Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Delta, and South Texas.
- ST 5122GLT. With a quick jump out of the ground, ST 5122GLT delivers outstanding yield potential and fiber quality. This smooth leaf variety fits the early to mid-maturity spot on the farm and offers very good tolerance to Verticillium wilt. It is widely adapted to the Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Delta, East Texas, and Northern Rolling Plains.
- NexGen 5711 B3XF is a mid- to full variety, fully loaded with the latest Bollgard 3 XtendFlex Cotton Technology, with a smooth leaf, bacterial blight tolerance, and fiber characteristics ideal for growers across the Cotton Belt. NG 5711 B3XF thrives under stress or PGRs, making it ideal for dryland or irrigated acres, and it has a fit in just about any situation where a mid- to full-maturing variety is preferred.
- NexGen 3780 B2XF is an early-medium variety that is slightly earlier than NG 3517 B2XF in maturity, boasting high yield potential, great fiber quality,y and an outstanding disease package. NG 3780 B2XF can handle heavy Verticillium wilt and bacterial blight pressure, with top-end yield potential. It is well adapted from the Plains of Texas to Southwest Oklahoma and Kansas.
- NexGen 4777 B2XF is a widely adapted, high quality variety, with best in class yield potential and disease resistance. NG 4777 B2XF offers a step change in fiber quality and even greater yield potential in the medium maturity class.
- NexGen 4792 XF is very widely adapted to the dryland acres of West Texas. NG 4792 XF has a fit on the Texas Plains in an indeterminate variety with outstanding disease tolerance, excellent early season vigor, and yield potential. A consistent performer in West Texas trials, NG 4792 XF is an even higher-yielding variety than the well-known NG 3500 XF, with better staple length.
For more information, go to www.americot.com
- CPS 1205A XF. This medium maturity variety features 4.0-4.8 micronaire, smooth leaf type, 1.15-1.24 length, and 28-33 strength. A West Texas fit that is a great storm-proof variety.
- CPS 1205D XF. An early to mid-maturity cotton, this smooth leaf variety has 4.0-4.8 micronaire, 1.15-1.24 length, and 29-33 strength. This West Texas variety features moderate storm-proof bolls.
- CPS 17125 XF. This early to mid-maturing variety features 4.2-4.8 micronaire, semi-smooth leaf type, 1.14-1.20 length, and 29-32 strength. It is suited for West Texas low water and dryland acres. Has bacterial blight resistance and very good Verticillium wilt tolerance.
- CPS 17157-B B2XF. An early to mid-maturity cotton, this smooth leaf variety has 4.2-4.8 micronaire, 1.16-1.24 length, and 29-33 strength. Best fit in Texas, Georgia, and the Mid-South. Features excellent storm tolerance, and very good Verticillium wilt tolerance.
- CPS 17228NR B2XF. This early to mid-maturing variety features 4.0-4.2 micronaire, semi-smooth leaf type, 1.16-1.22 length, and 28-31 strength. The root-knot nematode-tolerant variety is suited for the Mid-South and West Texas.
- DG 3605 B2XF. A medium to full-maturing cotton, this smooth leaf variety has 4.1-4.6 microaire, 1.18-1.26 length, and 29-32 strength. Best fit in irrigated river valleys of Texas and Mid-South/Delta.