Rice farmers can get the latest information on new varieties and agronomic practices at the Evangeline Parish Rice Field Day May 19 from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
The LSU AgCenter-sponsored event will be held at the farm of Kody and Larry Bieber, 1 mile west of La. Highway 13 on Bieber Road.
LSU AgCenter scientists to make presentations at the field day include:
– Rice breeders Steve Linscombe, Xueyan Sha and Brookes Blanche, discussing new variety development.
– Johnny Saichuk, rice specialist, who will talk about current growing conditions.
– Agronomist Dustin Harrell, discussing fertilizer application and timing.
– Weed scientist Eric Webster, whose presentation will include herbicide applications.
– Pathologist Don Groth, to discuss fungicide applications and timing.
– Economist Mike Salassi, to talk about a survey of crop leasing practices.
– Economist Gene Johnson, who will give an update on the rice market.
– Entomologist Natalie Hummel, with an update on insects.
After the field day, Hummel will go to the farm of Kenneth LaHaye to show an ongoing test of the insecticide seed treatment Dermacor.
For more information contact Saichuk at (337) 788-7547 or [email protected].