Garst Seed Co. is introducing 35 new corn hybrids and 15 new soybean varieties, especially adapted for growing conditions in the Delta, for 2005.
Many of the corn hybrids contain trait technologies such as Roundup Ready, YieldGard Corn Borer, Clearfield or IT. In soybeans, Garst is offering numerous varieties that contain both the Roundup trait and soybean cyst nematode (SCN) resistance.
Garst will offer ProCoat on a number of soybean varieties and Poncho, a seed-applied insecticide, on select corn hybrids.
- 8288 is a full-season, widely adapted hybrid with excellent top-end yield potential and solid agronomics. This 116 general relative maturity (GRM) hybrid offers excellent test weight and high-quality grain on a proprietary white cob and performs best at moderate plant populations.
- 8287RR is a full-season yield leader that is widely adaptable. This 116 GRM Roundup Ready hybrid delivers a solid agronomic package, excellent harvestability and test weight, and high-quality grain on a white cob.
- 8204RR is a 117 GRM hybrid delivering good plant health, late-season stay green and outstanding ear flex under medium plant populations. This Roundup Ready hybrid offers very good yield response in irrigation and high-yield management practices. In addition, it is well-adapted for both grain and silage production.
- 8230IT is a good choice for either silage or grain production. This 117 GRM hybrid has an outstanding disease package with tolerance to gray leaf spot and MDMV. 8230IT also has a medium-tall plant height with medium-high ear placement and herbicide flexibility with the Clearfield production system.
- 8292YG1 is a 118 GRM hybrid with excellent top-end yield across diverse environments. This YieldGard Corn Borer hybrid is a tall plant with medium ear placement and superb test weight grain on a proprietary white cob.
- 4612RR/N is a broadly adapted, mid-Group 4 variety with excellent yield potential. It is a medium plant with a medium-bushy canopy. It has moderate resistance to races 3 and 14 SCN, very good resistance to sudden death syndrome and frogeye, and good field tolerance to Phytophthora root rot. It also contains the Roundup Ready trait.
- 5212RR/N is a showy, mid early-Group 5 variety with a medium-bushy canopy. It has a very strong disease package offering resistance to Race 3 and moderate resistance to Race 14 SCN. In addition, it has very good resistance to frogeye and SDS, resistance to stem canker and good field tolerance to Phytophthora root rot. It also contains the Roundup Ready trait.
- 5515 is a widely adapted yield leader with outstanding drought tolerance and excellent stalk quality. It has a medium maturity with uniform plant height and pale red grain. This hybrid is a solid choice for dryland areas with upside yield potential.
- 5440 is a medium-full maturity hybrid, widely adaptable with red grain. It offers good grain weathering characteristics, above-average test weight, improved standability and high top-end yields. It is also resistant to pathotype 1 downy mildew and C&E greenbugs.