Asgrow has introduced its 2009 class of 24 new high-performing Elites — its newest soybean products designed to deliver uniform plant health and higher yield potential.
“Asgrow scientists use advanced breeding techniques to deliver consistent, higher-performing soybean products to farmers,” said Betsy Hill, U.S. Asgrow soybean technical manager. “Our 2009 Asgrow Elites are developed with a combination of exclusive, uniform genetics and agronomic traits, which lead to consistent performance across farmer fields.”
In addition to the 24 new Asgrow Elites, a controlled release is planned in 2009 of several brands of Asgrow Roundup Ready 2 Yield, the second generation of Monsanto soybean technology.
“By planting Asgrow Roundup Ready 2 Yield soybeans, farmers can expect the same dependable, flexible weed control and crop safety they expect from the Roundup Ready system, in addition to increased yield potential at harvest,” says Jeff Wheeler, Asgrow business lead.
Roundup Ready 2 Yield soybeans will be introduced on 1 million to 2 million acres in 2009. A full-scale launch on 5 million to 6 million acres is planned for 2010.
Additionally, this year’s lineup includes several new Vistive low-linolenic brands, which offer premiums to farmers, as well as the opportunity to meet the growing consumer demand for healthier diets.
For the Delta region, five of the most promising new Asgrow Elites brands for 2009 are AG 4606, AG 4907, AG 5304, AG 5405 and AG 5606.
Here is a brief description of these brands:
• AG 4606 — Mid 4 product stacked Roundup Ready and STS soybeans: AG 4606 brand is resistant to Race 3 soybean cyst nematode and is widely adapted to many different soil types and soybean growing areas. It offers consistent performance driven by a well-rounded agronomic trait and disease resistance package which includes Rps1c Phytophthora, sudden death syndrome and stem canker protection.
• AG 4907— Late 4 product Roundup Ready soybeans: This brand delivers very high yield potential across a range of environments. It is resistant to Race 3 soybean cyst nematode and provides multi-race Phytophthora protection with the Rps1c gene. This aggressive growing product offers very good standability and is an excellent choice for clay soils and double crop situations.
• AG 5304 — Early 5 product stacked Roundup Ready and STS soybeans: The AG 5304 brand is a compact plant type for growthy environments and has very good tolerance to southern stem canker and frogeye leaf spot. This product offers outstanding yield potential on silt loom and silty clay soils.
• AG 5405 — Early 5 product stacked Roundup Ready and STS soybeans: This brand provides a medium plant type with excellent standability and emergence. Additionally, AG 5405 offers excellent tolerance to southern stem canker combined with very good Phytophthora resistance and moderate resistance to Race 3 soybean cyst nematode.
• AG 5606 — Mid 5 product Roundup Ready soybeans: The AG5606 brand carries Peking resistance to soybean cyst nematode and is suited for clay soils. It is also resistant to southern root knot nematode with excellent tolerance to southern stem canker and very good tolerance to frogeye leaf spot. Compared to other products, AG 5606 has increased tolerance to elevated soil chloride levels.